Join my mailing list!

Friday, July 2, 2021

This is my voice, my weapon of choice.


 
 
Anyone who has ever been told to be told to shut up (everyone) has moments when they are convinced.....
 
Wait. Strike that. Let's not get cutesy with the passive voice here. Let's just say things. 
 
A nasty voice lives in my head and it loves to tell me that I have nothing of worth to say. My throat literally tightens up. My words slog through mud to leave my mouth. 
 
Grace Jones says in the linked video, "This is my voice, my weapon of choice." 
 
Being silenced removes your first, best weapon against those who do not want you to challenge the status quo. The status quo doesn't have to be big things, either, like political reform or climate change. The status quo I am fighting today? Sending emails out to independent bookstores to see if they would like to carry my books. 
 
Seriously. Today I am convinced that I am better served not drawing attention to myself, that no bookstore would want to shelve me in their stock. I'm going to reach into my emotional toolbox and find every thing I can that will help me. I will resist that cruel voice that wants me to play small. 
 
Tell me a time when you resisted your cruel voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment