Join my mailing list!

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Lazy Saturday morning

Today seems like a good day to talk about what books I think every writer should have. We all have our favorites, so why not share mine? ;)

If you only have one book on your shelf, make it Getting Things Done by David Allen. Too many people suffer from feeling overwhelmed by their dreams, wishes, and to-do lists. GTD (as the hipsters put it) shows you the way to feeling calm, creative, and on top of your game. If you don't have it, buy it, get it from the library, borrow it. It's a quick but intense read, and it'll make you much happier.

My next few are more writer-based.

I adore Carolyn See's Making a Literary Life. Her section on dealing with rejection should be required reading for every single person who yearns to write. No where else have I seen such down-to-earth and funny insights into why people say no, and how to cope with it.

A tacky title, but an awesome book is Write Away by Elizabeth George. I really like her comments on research, setting (my weakness), and brainstorming on her characters. It saved me a lot of hassle.

Old-school is awesome, so I suggest kicking it with Becoming a Writer by Dorothea Brande. She debunks the myth of someone stealing your ideas, tells you how to get started, and gives wonderful suggestions for feeding your head.

What do you keep on your reference shelf?

3 comments:

  1. Howdy Linda
    Love all the info on writers I am still doing that project the written part is due Tuesday I sent you an email not sure how it works on this site I am new to it since Sept. I also have a obligatory blogspot http://seaaggie.blogspot.com/ we are doing it weekly for class if you would like to read mine. Yours is much more pink mine is bland in comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh oh! GTD? What's next, a Hipster PDA? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *grins at Brian* I'm all snooty. I use a Moleskine.

    ReplyDelete