Join my mailing list!

Friday, November 6, 2009

Raphael to Foxy Brown: Part two

The next exhibit I went to was China Design Now.

There's something wild, energetic, and disorienting about leaving a highly contemplative experience and being plunged into an environment pumping with modern Chinese pop music, color, and unfettered boldness.

Raphael's delicate sfumato technique with its lack of definite lines and serene atmosphere left me feeling very peaceful.

China Design Now with its youthful vigor was like a bracing splash of cold water. Shanghai, Beijing, and Shenzhen are now dominated by a younger population who are curious, mischievous, and fearless.

The museum showed graphic design from CD labels, animation, and prints exploring the nature of Chinese calligraphy to radical architecture ideas, haute couture (which I fell madly in love with. Chinese haute couture is wonderful!), music, and movie making.

Color, line, and the reality of living in some of the most crowded cities in the world shoved me out of my complacent calmness and into thinking about a global identity. Problem solving is a major goal of mine. I left Raphael with admiration for his technique and his ability to create delicate emotions.

I left China Design Now ready to give my best to the social problems of today.

Which is the better art? And does it matter?

No comments:

Post a Comment