Join my mailing list!

Monday, September 27, 2010

The gift of travel.

How does one go about telling others how life changing and awe-inspiring a trip to another continent is?

Do I give you a day to day tour diary, complete with entries such as, "Days One - Three: Amsterdam. Amsterdam is truly the Portland of Europe. Or perhaps Portland is the Amsterdam of the United States."?

And of course, go on from there with quirky, amazing pictures of this brilliant, moist, complicated city with its surprisingly logical yet beautiful architecture and the weight of Rembrant's and Van Gogh's legacies pressing against your skin?

(Total Liz Gilbert moment there, huh? *preens*)

Or do I share my deep emotional insights that the entirely different surroundings gave me? (the short answer - I'm not nearly as much of a screw up as I've always thought :)

In the end, the best I can do is find some wonderful pictures and talk a little about each one.



Indeed, Portland is the Amsterdam of the United States.

1 comment:

  1. Really like the idea of "The gift of travel" - it's a gift we give ourselves. Especially when we get to other countries and find new ways of looking at things in small, unexpected every-day aspects of our lives. Love the scooter!

    ReplyDelete