Join my mailing list!

Friday, April 15, 2011

Dare to be Average, part two

"Ok, Ms. Smarty-Pants," I hear you saying, "How exactly does Dare to be Average work? If I don't push myself to succeed, I'd spend my time in slothful idleness, surrounded by clutter, and I'd never get anything done. This is what works for me."

Fair enough. Here's the scoop- I know exactly what you mean by "needing that motivation". Self castigation is a time-honored way of getting yourself off your duff.

The problem? Fear and self-loathing aren't effective long term motivators. A bit of self disgust might work now and again, but quite simply, it is not sustainable.

Calling yourself names (lazy, fat, disgusting, etc.) hurts more than it helps. I know that I work very poorly for a person who belittles, insults, and castigates me. In fact, I will actively avoid working for that person.

So why am I trying to motivate myself that way?

If I look at a project that I am resisting (like writing this blog post - I so did not want to do it), I realize that it is because I am using negative motivators. By thinking, "Fine. I will write an average blog post", I am freed. I can play, draft, and eventually post.

It's not a world shaking post, but it is here, it's done, and I got my point across. If I am for average as opposed to HEARTBREAKING, EARTHSHAKING, SUPER GENIUS, GUT-WRENCHING TRUTH, I have a much better chance of actually finishing something.

Next time you find yourself frozen with perfectionism, take a deep breath. Think, "Fine. Let's aim for average and see what happens."

I bet you'll surprise yourself.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, average is good, especially when faced when staring at a blank page for hours on end. Sometimes ideas come for great blog posts and I have to wonder why they aren't that easy every day. Sometimes we have great moments and sometimes average. What a wonderful fiery blog. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, Christine! I have to admit to completely rejecting the concept of being average the minute I heard it.

    All I could think was, "I will get absolutely nothing done if I don't beat myself up."

    Then I tried it. What a relief to stop wasting energy on all that anxiety!

    ReplyDelete