Join my mailing list!

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Writers helping each other.

At a previous Romance Writers of America conference, Renee Ryan had presented a workshop on layering. For those not obsessed with writing, that's the process of taking your draft and adding all those things that make a book memorable. Nancy really like the recording, emailed Renee, and got her notes from the workshop. Then she shared them with me.

Here is Renee Ryan's layering process:
  1. Finish your first draft. This can be a draft of a scene, a chapter, or even your whole book.
  2. Layer in movement - character movement, the world around them.
  3. Layer in the five senses
  4. Layer in the setting - after all, the environment is a character in and of itself
  5. Layer in the emotion
  6. Layer in the dialog
  7. Layer in the backstory
  8. Layer in the sexual tension
  9. (and I added this one) Layer in the theme
I've been trying this for the last few days, and I am thrilled! Breaking down the process this way has really helped my revisions, especially after all the cutting I've done. 

    2 comments:

    1. Great tips. I'll start using them today as I rewrite. and rewrite and rewrite...

      ReplyDelete
    2. Awesome! As I'm writing that first draft, I know that a lot of these layering elements are missing, which is why I don't let anybody read that rough draft. Thanks for sharing!

      ReplyDelete