Join my mailing list!

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Learning who you are.

I have had the honor and the pleasure of modeling with Michael Baxter, the genius of belly dance photography.
I never knew I had mystery inside.
Michael was gracious enough to experiment with me. The images he coaxed from me and his equipment showed me aspects of myself that I never knew existed.

If you asked me to describe myself, I would always say I was a little funny looking. I'm far from petite or graceful and - let's not mince words - overweight.

But Michael showed me a part of myself that was strong, passionate, and, yes, beautiful.  I learned a valuable lesson that day:

I no longer could justify my self-loathing.  

I wish everyone could have the experience of working with a gifted and empathic photographer. I wish you could discover the parts of yourself that you do not see.



7 comments:

  1. So glad you could have such a positive experience and that it brought about new realizations and healing. :) Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is amazing how much energy goes into hating yourself. Unpacking that baggage has been some of the most rewarding work of my life. :)

      Delete
  2. Yay you! Three years ago this coming February I did a Boudoir photo shoot with a professional photographer ( a woman who specializes in boudoir photography). It was one of the most affirming experiences I've ever had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually, women see photographs of themselves as reason to hate themselves. It is a true joy when it is used as a tool for healing and insight! :)

      Delete
  3. The camera is a funny thing. I shoot houses for my day job and I'm always surprised what the camera sees that I didn't. Angles, lighting, objects, mood, all of it can change with just a few inches of different perspective between my eye and the camera lens. But then, it's always about perspective, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That photo is beautiful as are you!

    ReplyDelete