Join my mailing list!

Friday, April 12, 2013

Retreats, and why we need them.

Since the beginning of the year, I had had two vicious bouts with the flu (bad), house guests (great!), traveled to Las Vegas (more fantastic), conferred for a second tattoo (scary), and been to conferences.

Notice the one thing I haven't put in there? Yep. Actually writing.
This is Su.

This past weekend, I was able to fix that.

For me, at least, the purpose of a retreat is to claim a time and space to focus
And this is Darla!
on one task, surrounded by others who are following the same path. Everyone's combined efforts lift us from the everyday distractions and clears the mind.

I am blessed to know Susan Lute and Darla Luke. 
They graciously allowed me to join them at their weekend away in Waldport, Oregon. Tucked into a small cottage, the three of us shared silence, plot difficulties, and writing strategies. I foresee asking Darla for an interview on her mapping technique! ;)

Here I did more work than I had in the previous month.

I'm refreshed, ready, and full of mojo. Thank you, Darla and Su!


Here are a few pictures.

Bridge over the bay



Wild Strawberries, turning the sandy soil into a garden.



Su's work ethic amazes me.



The morning after a huge storm.




4 comments:

  1. That sounds wonderful. I am new to this but already I see the difficulty in finding undistracted time to jit down and write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like dancing - you need to find time to be in the studio to focus on what your body can do and wants to do.

      It's easy to get distracted from what nourishes your soul.

      Delete