Join my mailing list!

Friday, March 29, 2013

Best of...

For my retrospective, here is a blog post from November 22, 2009. Enjoy!

***

No fear?

A dear friend of mine has characters and stories roaming her head. She wants, no, yearns to write.

Just like the rest of us, she is frightened.

Writing is scary stuff. Let's list a few of the things that scare her.

  1. Rejection by publishers.
  2. Rejection by agents.
  3. Rejection by friends and family.
  4. The possibility that you really DO suck.
  5. The possibility that you might learn something about yourself that you didn't want to know. (I was pretty surprised that I wrote vampire stories. I wanted to write screw-ball comedies).
  6. Bad reviews.
  7. Good reviews.
  8. Not getting published which leads to...
  9. Feeling like you've wasted your time.
  10. Not making money.
These fears are real. They stop people in their tracks every day. They even stop me from time to time.

I have no easy answers about how to not be afraid. In fact, these fears are important. You have to look at them and say, "Well. What if I do suck? What if my work does gets rejected from now until the end of time?"

The payoff might not be worth the pain. If so, then congratulate yourself, and realize that there are many other dreams waiting for you! Maybe you will find fulfillment in improv comedy or Linux open-source work.

Make your fears work for you.

2 comments:

  1. Good advice. I've been taking a creative writing course and I actually submitted a poem to ARC magazine. I have no expectations, but I wanted to do it just so I can say I did. And besides...they can't do worse than say no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! You are amazing, Nita. :) I hope they love your poem.

      Delete