Join my mailing list!

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

2013 Resolutions: The literary life and me



My favorite book on writing, bar none, is Making a Literary Life, by Elizabeth See. The section she wrote on rejection is life changing. I wanted to discuss it today, but I’d have to quote the whole damn thing, and that was way too much copyright infringement, even for me.

Instead, I’m going to discuss her chapter on making the magic, going beyond the words on the page, and into creating the life that makes you shine.
I can’t say it better than she does, so here it is.


Any philanthropist knows that the more money she gives, the more she’ll get back; any volunteer knows that hour spent in a good cause give us golden time. We all know, at some level, that stinginess doesn’t work.
If you start giving away what you want, you give the universe a nudge – you get the cosmic Jell-O trembling.
If you feel you don’t have enough love in your life (no writer, art6ist, human being can exist without love), don’t go around trying to steal it at low bars from impressionable young men and women: Try giving it away, in a blaze of affection, compliments and hugs. Start with your musty old grandma, your lumpy wife, your doltish dad: hugs and compliments- because you have so much love in your bank that you can afford to give it away, lavishly and recklessly.
So what are you waiting for? The best part of the literary and creative life is giving away what you most want. 



My books:

8 comments:

  1. Well stated. I'm off to get this book! Thanks Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just downloaded the book. Anything that provides this kind of advice AND helps me deal with rejection is golden.

    Linda, I've REALLY enjoyed getting to know you better through your posts. You are a great role model to not only living the creative life, but being a person who knows how important it is to love yourself and make good, healthy, loving choices. I've truly appreciated your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been great to getting to know you better, too, Maggie. Your posts are always thought provoking and insightful. Thank you. :)

      Delete
  3. "Get the cosmic Jell-O trembling"

    I want this tattoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A nice plate of jiggling Jell-O on your arm would be totally righteous.

      Delete
  4. You seem like a nice person, Linda. I like your attitude around taking care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evelyn - Hi there! You seem pretty rocking, too. :)

      Delete