Join my mailing list!

Monday, January 7, 2013

2013 Resolutions: Cassiel Knight and the Literary Life



Resolve 2013:  Creating a Literary (or Creative) Life

This one was a difficult resolution for me. First, I wasn’t quite sure what Linda meant by this. I’m also surprised because I think Linda is one of the few that have what I think as a literary life. She’s very dedicated to her writing and is published with eKensington. Sounds pretty good, eh?

So, I thought about this one a bit. Actually looked online to see what other’s thought about creating a literary or creative life and for me, it seems to boil down to how we hold ourselves out to others.

We have to figure out what our creative life should look like and that is something only we can do. I know mine means quitting my day job so what I’m doing now and planning for the future involves creating my literary life around making enough money to quit the day job, keep myself (and my dogs) in the life style to which we’ve become used to and indulge in my passions of writing, editing and promotion. And I have a plan to get there in the next two years. It’s a slow plan but I love knowing what’s waiting for me when I succeed.

My literary life won’t be everyone’s. How I get there also won’t be the same but I think what is the same is how we present ourselves to others. To start: Do you like to tell people you write books? Do you like to tell them what type of book you write? When people ask me what I do, I tell them I’m a writer and when they ask what I write, I proudly tell them action/adventure romance. If you can’t do that, figure out what’s preventing you. 


There are other things around how you are perceived by others in your goal to create a literary life but ultimately, being comfortable telling others you are a writer and not shying from telling them you write romance, erotic, young adult or science fiction and fantasy should be your first step. Take pride in what you do.

Have a fantastic 2013!

Cassiel Knight resides in the beautiful, and evergreen, state of Oregon with her husband of over 20 years and two female Shih Tzus, which are her children in every sense of the word. When she isn't editing, writing or reading (and that is most of the time), she can be found playing with her Shih Tzus, gardening (when the weather permits and sometimes when it doesn't) and cooking fancy meals as long as someone else does the dishes. She writes paranormal romances with kick-assitude that blend archeology and mythologyjust a few of her favorite thingsfor Samhain Publishing, Lyrical Press and Champagne Book Group.

You can find me at these places:


Continue the blog party!

Maggie Jaimeson - Take a Vacation
Jessa Slade - Get Organized
Paty Jager - Volunteerism
Linda Mercury - Creating a Literary (or Creative) Life
Jenna Bayley-Burke - Eat Healthier
Cassiel Knight - No More Procrastination
Cathryn Cade - Take Time for those OTHER Creative Passions
Su Lute - Reduce Stress: Find and Follow Your Bliss
Jamie Brazil - Shrink My Closet



2 comments:

  1. Cassiel, I agree creating a literary life means being able to make a living from your writing and proudly letting people know you are an author. Wishing you many sales so you can slip into the literary life you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassie, This is so true! If we can't proudly present ourselves as authors, then it is likely we are in the closet. I was in the closet for a long time when I worked in Academia because I knew my romance writing would NOT be considered an asset. So, I led two lives--one with my writer friends and one with everyone else (including my relatives). It wasn't until the first book was published that I came out of the closet to my family. It wasn't until I had accomplished everything I wanted in Academia that I came out to the people I worked with.

    Keep going for the writing full time dream. It may take longer than you think, so prepared. Or you may end up like me, being pushed into full time before you are ready. Either way, you get what you want and go for it.

    ReplyDelete