Join my mailing list!

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Another growth opportunity.

"What is the hardest lesson you've learned on your writing journey?"

Oh, ouch. I so didn't want to think on that.

Fortunately, I learned how to deal with rejection early (pro-tip: read Making a Literary Life by Carolyn See).

What should I talk about? The difficulty in believing in yourself? The need to Dare to be Average?

No, the hardest part was learning to talk about my work.

(I just now completely stalled out on writing this, thinking about what I was going to say about talking about my work.)

When you have a dream, you might have to keep it under wraps for a little while - protect it from those who would, in a completely innocent way (of course), say or do things that discourage you.

I got stuck there. When it came time to pitch my book or to ask for help, I would either stall or simply not answer.

I do not recommend this course of action. Once your dream is sturdy, share it.

What is your dream? What are you working on?

2 comments:

  1. I always ask the difficult questions? This is so not true. I'm practically a door mat with sentences like tell me what you want me to hear. No?
    LOL Thanks for the mention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *laughing* Nuh-uh - you aren't fooling anyone with that innocent face of yours.

    ReplyDelete