Join my mailing list!

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What exactly do I tell people when they ask what I do?

Photo by Michael Baxter
As a pre-published author, I'm not someone who can say, "And X is the title of my new book!" This leaves me a bit at a disadvantage in social settings. When people ask what I do, I bravely say, "I write very very sexy paranormal romances."

Thus far, I have had positive responses to this statement. I wondered why, when I'm straight up admitting to being a freak who writes in a denigrated genre.

I found an answer:
A bad reputation can set you free. After all, if you've already declared yourself to be a pot-smoking, acid-addled slut, your opponents are forced to oppose your ideas on their merits, rather than strategically revealing your hidden depravities. Shame is no weapon against the shameless.
-- John Perry Barlow

(For the record, I am neither pot smoking nor acid-addled.)

As for the slut? Well, in most people's definition of the word, I am one simply by writing sexually adventurous characters. 

Hi. I'm Linda Mercury. I write very very very sexy paranormal romances. I refuse to be shamed by that. I hope my refusal invites you to enjoy life's pleasures.

3 comments:

  1. Thank goodness my book is published now, but I sure remember feeling the same sort of awkwardness when I was writing "Ravena & The Resurrected" (when people would ask what I did for a living). That being admitted, I think it's important to talk about what you are doing. Brag up your book and discuss all the research you're putting into it. Maybe you'll be able to pre-sell books that way.
    :-)
    P.S. I think I'm following you TWICE from my two blogs. Please RTF.

    *1 Sing vampire praises? Join VAMCHOIR! http://Vamchoir.blogspot.com
    *2 Into dark fiction? Follow this book review blog! http://VampireReview.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. If one is ashamed of what one does, they should not be doing it. So it follows that you should speak proudly of your profession

    ReplyDelete