Join my mailing list!

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Writing Tight vs. Writing Long

Some people write a long first draft and then cut their manuscript down to size.

Some people write a short first draft and then add. And add. And add. Lather, rinse, and repeat.

I write tight.

It's almost like words are expensive! *shakes head at self*

My poor critique partners keep asking me what planet I'm on, what are they wearing, what's the weather, are these poor characters nekkid or what?!

I have a phobia about description.

Because I fear I might turn into THIS.

3 comments:

  1. Lovey, I promise that if you ever veer even the slightest towards THAT, I will, my ownself, come to you and gently take the keyboard away from you until you come to your senses again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, on the whole, like short books better than long books. Short because they don't bandy about with too many words. Still, you can be expressive with few words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! that was an amazing two pages.
    Glad you posted your blog - I lost the link when I had to rebuild my computer last month.
    Write tight, then layer in later. Terri Reed did a workshop on that. Contact her for the list. She does plot, then goes back to the beginning for each other addition of sense, color, physical movement, etc...

    ReplyDelete