Join my mailing list!

Monday, February 23, 2015

Needs and Wants

One of the perennial flame wars of all time is *drum rolls*
Needs Vs. Wants.

(Say that in the Epic Rap Battles of History voice. It's pretty kicking)

I get really steamed when people say to someone,  "That's a WANT, not a NEED!" It's a way to dismiss someone's desires, be it for clean air, a hug, or a Ferrari. (or  Jaguar. Depending on your taste)

Most people will tell you that needs are only for survival - things like food, clothing, shelter, and breathing. Anything else is a want, and therefore frivolous.

The truth is, the only thing that matters is the question that comes after, "I want X" or "I want Y". That question is:

"For what?"

If I said, "I need a massage, lots of tea, a hot bath, and someone to brush my hair."

One of those "need" people would say, "Those are not needs, they are wants." They would think I was frivolous and wasteful, and I would think they were dumb-ass idiots with the IQ of a turnip. And we would both feel really miserable.

Well, if they had asked, "What for?", we could actually understand each other. I would answer, "If I don't get body work, stay hydrated, and have time with someone I trust, I turn into a pain-addled, depressive, angry hag."



The next time someone goes off about your wants/needs, ask yourself, "For what?"

It will stop the argument, create a better conversation, and save your sanity. :)

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm always on the lookout for things that make communication more clear and precise. :)

      Delete
  2. This is a great post about a conversation we have had many times when I feel bad about spending money on conventions instead of doing the 'sensible' thing and put that money into my savings. You have helped me learn that I want to go to the conventions but i need to feed my creative soul :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that going to a con is just one of many, many cool things you can do to feed your creative soul!

      Delete
  3. I grew up fairly poor and as an adult I've fought the habit of arguing with myself about money all the time... It usually gets to a point of me just going for it and saying "Do it before I argue myself out of it." :p

    ReplyDelete