Join my mailing list!

Monday, March 3, 2014

Virtual Book Tour: The Tarot Card Killer by Greg Strandberg.

Note: Greg will be awarding a $20 Amazon GC to a random commenter! 

Please welcome Greg Strandberg to my blog! He was kind enough to answer some questions about himself and his writing life.



I grew up in Helena, Montana, in the 80’s and 90s – really the kind of place where there’s nothing to do.  After kicking around college for the better part of a decade I got a degree in History and in 2008 headed to China for a year to teach English.

I ended up staying for 5 years, and moved back to Montana in June, 2013, with a Russian wife and a young son.  Now I primarily ghostwrite for others and do a lot of ho-hum web content for others, you know, sites trying to get you to buy stuff you don’t need.

The Joys (?) of Writing

No one wants to write – you need to.  For me writing is a job, but when I started seriously back in 2010 I just wrote for myself.  Actually, I think I wrote to one-up this author who forced me to read three, in my mind terribly boring, fantasy novels.  Hey, the covers pulled me in!

I had a routine of 2,000 words a day, and always hit it, missing but 20 days, give or take that year.  Now I write everyday, and low days are 1,500 words or so.  Writing non-fiction, like advice for teachers on my ESL website (English as a Second Language), makes it easy for me to write a lot each day.

The Front and Back Burner

If you visit my site you’ll see anywhere from 10 to 12 word count meters.  I always have a lot of things on the back burner, but right now I’m focusing on the following:

l  G.I. JOE:  Amazon Kindle Worlds is starting up a new line of G.I. JOE books, you know, those action figures and cartoons kids were wacky about in the ‘80s.  Well, people reading this stuff will love many of my other books.

l  SEO and 80’s Movies:  This is a book I’m working on for people to understand SEO better (Search Engine Optimization).  I do this by talking about all those 80’s movies you loved, and applying them to SEO principles in ways you can actually understand.  The movies?  Well, how many cheesy 80’s movies can you name?

l  Vigilante Justice:  This is an ongoing series of novellas, all about 20,000 words, that focus on crazed urban vigilantes rising up against the powers-that-be.  The first book focuses on a race killing, the second stolen pensions in Detroit. The third book I’m writing now joins those two characters as they build a team to take on social injustices.  Maybe a female glass-ceiling-breaker next?

l  Ale Quest: This is a short novel set in medieval times.  A knight has to bring ale back to a castle under siege.  Along the way he finds love, trouble, laughs, and a hideous plot to upend the kingdom.  There’s also ale drinking, although unfortunately our hero hasn’t a drop.

My Advice to You

If you’re a writer I’d say write everyday, even 250 words or so.  Write about non-fiction things you know well when nothing else seems to come.  Write a huge list of weird topics, and come back to them.

If you’re a reader I’d say take some chances – try to pick up one book outside your comfort zone each month.  I bet you’ll be pleasantly surprised, and perhaps look at old things in a new way.

 

And now, for his book!

 Blurb:



Jim Sharpe is sick of life, sick of being a cop, and most of all sick of Hong Kong. He’s one of the few not on the take, yet he’s being charged with corruption. By the end of the week he’ll be kicked off the force – no matter what.

All that changes when a dead body’s found next to Victoria Harbour, a bloody Tarot card in its hand. Jim’s called onto the case, and what he discovers promises not just to upend his world, but the whole city as well.
  

Excerpt:

 
Jim pulled the Cutlass up to the curb a few blocks from Tarot of the Stars, about as close as he could get to the shop this time of day. Andy got out on the other side and they were soon walking in to see Madame Chu for the third time. The bells on the door chimed and the incense in the air assaulted their senses immediately upon entering.

“Back again so soon, eh?” Madame Chu asked. “Another killing?”

She seemed alarmed and Andy nodded.

“Last night, right here in Central.”

“And you want to know what the card means?”

“That’s right,” Jim said. “It was the Six of Pentacles this time.”

“And did you check to see how it was laid out?” she asked, her eyes narrowing.

Jim smiled. “Of course! What do you take us for, the mainland police.”

Madame Chu frowned. “And?”

“It was the Six of Pentacles, and it was face up and upright,” Andy said, “whatever meaning it has should be just the face value of the card.”

“There’s never any face value when it comes to the Tarot,” Madame Chu said, whirling about. “It all depends on the querent.”

“Well the querent’s dead,” Jim said. “It was another police officer, a woman this time.”

Madame Chu’s eyes narrowed. “I only read about the man.”

“We kept most of the details about this third killing quiet,” Andy said. “The papers already had quite enough with Donald Chow that they didn’t nibble too hard on this one, though I’m sure there’ll be a lot more information come tomorrow.”


AUTHOR Bio and Links:

Greg Strandberg was born and raised in Helena, Montana. He graduated from the University of Montana in 2008 with a BA in History.

When the American economy began to collapse Greg quickly moved to China, where he became a slave for the English language industry. After five years of that nonsense he returned to Montana in June, 2013.

When not writing his blogs, novels, or web content for others, Greg enjoys reading, hiking, biking, and spending time with his wife and young son.



 



25 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting me on your site today, Linda.

    I look forward to any questions about China or this crazy game we call self-publishing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent a week in Helena, MT one day. The fact that you escaped the state's borders, let alone made it to China is an achievement in and of itself! And you came back with a Russian wife and stayed five years? Cool. You have a LOT to write about! I too am a writer - a journalist for 23 years, ghost writer for 7. I love writing, but you're right. It can be a job. For someone who considers writing a job, you've got a LOT going on! I will say one thing, you've got the perfect place to hike and bike! Really enjoyed the dialogue posted here. Will check it out and forward it to my friend who also writes about Tarot and mysteries/detective stuff! Best of luck to you, although I don't think you'll need it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! Yes, many in Montana are not lucky enough to escape, even for a few years. Imagine growing up in the same spot and never leaving. That's a reality many here live with.

      Wow, you've been writing a long time. I certainly hope one day my books can take off so I can stop writing for others.

      Anyways, good luck!

      Delete
  3. Sounds cool! It's always great when an author can pull from experience to make a book authentic. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right what you know, it's an old adage in publishing. I'm very luck to have lots of crazy experiences so the well shouldn't run dry.

      Thanks for stopping by, Belinda!

      Delete
  4. Love the Q & A Thanks for sharing it and the giveaway. Sounds like a thrilling read. evamillien at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow greg! It seems like you've got a whole lot on your plate! Glad to have gotten the chance to check you out!

    andralynn7 AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, you got that right, Andra. With the stuff I write for other people it often feels like nothing of my own is ever getting done anymore.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  6. I have enjoyed learning about the book. Thanks for sharing it.
    psiu@ live.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good advice for readers! I'm a librarian and I've always been almost exclusively a non-fiction reader. Last year, I made a resolution to read in a wider variety of genres and it's been great!
    catherinelee100 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you've got the right idea, Catherine. It's good to try new things from time to time, and I should do it more often than I do.

      Delete
  8. Interesting post

    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've read one of your books and it was good enough to get me to sign up for your emails. I found this post to be too short for my liking. I wish you had written more, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, James!

      I'll be doing posts all this week. You can read tomorrow's at http://beckstarreviews.blogspot.com/

      I think we're doing an interview with Vlad the Impaler.

      Delete
  10. My daughter gets me out of my reading comfort zone.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great Q&A; Ale Quest sounds like a must read lol. Thanks for sharing a bit of your personal life with us.

    ilookfamous(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elise-Maria. I really need to get cracking on that Ale Quest.

      Delete