Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Blast from the Past.

For the next several days, I will be at the Romance Writers of America National Conference. While I'm gone, I'm going to revisit some of my earlier blog posts. Woohoo!

From June 29, 2010, here is the post, Writers Helping Each Other:




My good friend Nancy Crampton Brophy writes incredibly witty and fast paced romantic suspense.  We help each other with plotting, character growth, and brainstorming. Our friends Darla Luke, Su Lute, Cassiel Knight, and Jessie Smith call ourselves the Hooligans, and we support each other as much as we can.

Last Friday, Nancy and I had lunch. She shared with me a technique she'd found by listening to the conference tapes from a previous RWA Conference.

Renee Ryan had presented a workshop on layering. For those not obsessed with writing, that's the process of taking your draft and adding all those things that make a book memorable. Nancy really like the recording, emailed Renee, and got her notes from the workshop. Then she shared them with me.

Here is Renee Ryan's layering process:

  1. Finish your first draft. This can be a draft of a scene, a chapter, or even your whole book.
  2. Layer in movement - character movement, the world around them.
  3. Layer in the five senses
  4. Layer in the setting - after all, the environment is a character in and of itself
  5. Layer in the emotion
  6. Layer in the dialog
  7. Layer in the backstory
  8. Layer in the sexual tension
  9. (and I added this one) Layer in the theme
I've been trying this for the last few days, and I am thrilled! Breaking down the process this way has really helped my revisions, especially after all the cutting I've done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment