Join my mailing list!

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Raphael to Foxy Brown: Part Three

You might be wondering why in heavens name I did such oddball stuff last Tuesday. Well, I've learned that the word-creating part of my brain loves the visual arts. The more I immerse myself in art, history, and live performances, the better I write.

So back on the road from High Art to Popular Culture. :)

After I wrote on Tuesday afternoon, I took a break and watched Foxy Brown. I had never seen this movie before.

My first thought is that Pam Grier should be in every movie ever made. What a powerhouse actress! And quite possibly one of the most beautiful women ever.

My second reaction was one of profound discomfort - which is a very good thing. I was too young to be aware of social conditions in the early 1970's. While I remember the trailers for many of the blaxploitation movies, I certainly wasn't old enough to see them. Seeing how racial relations have changed (and haven't) made me determined to make sure that my characters are not white by default.

Will I screw up? Probably. Will I try to do write characters with rich backstory and strong emotions? I will absolutely do my best.

The point of these three posts is simple - a writer grabs inspiration from everything. No one can afford to dismiss any kind expression, because sometimes the 'disposable' arts will bring some of the most profound inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment